Auto Burglary Spree In Las Cruces
Las Cruces Police took reports on at least 10 auto burglaries over the weekend, including a spree of six that were committed late Sunday evening or early Monday morning in the College Manor neighborhood.
Most of the vehicles burglarized were left unlocked by their owners.
The College Manor neighborhood is located off Stern Drive, which runs parallel to Interstate-10. The six vehicles targeted this morning were parked on Drake Court, Purdue Court and Vassar Court.
Investigators have determined that most perpetrators simply walk neighborhoods, or parking lots, pulling door handles with the hopes of finding an unlocked vehicle. Once in the vehicle, the perpetrator needs only seconds to rummage and steal valuables left in the passenger compartment, or pop open a trunk.
The Las Cruces Police Department recommends:
- Park vehicles in a garage, driveway or well-lighted area.
- Remove valuables (purses, wallets, backpacks, personal electronics, etc.) from the passenger compartment.
- Conceal other items (CDs, tools, loose change, cell phone chargers, etc.) normally kept in a vehicle.
- Close all windows and lock doors.
- Remove garage door remote-openers from vehicles.
- Install and use an audible alarm system.
- Be a good neighbor and report any suspicious activity.
Anyone who witnesses an auto burglary in progress is asked to refrain from confronting the suspects. Instead, witnesses are asked to dial 911 immediately and be prepared to provide the call-taker with an accurate description of the suspect or suspects, and the license plate of the vehicle they are in.
Information from: Las Cruces Police