A couple who ran a Las Vegas-area boarding home is facing criminal charges after two residents died from carbon monoxide poisoning in a backyard shed last year.
State Police say 47-year-old Jose Encinias and his 41-year-old wife Denise A. Encinias are being held on $20,000 cash bond apiece on suspicion of two counts of neglect of a resident resulting in death.
They say Jose Encinias also is facing a misdemeanor count of installing a gas heater without a license and not having the installation inspected or certified.
The Las Vegas Optic reports the charges were filed Friday in San Miguel County Magistrate Court.
Authorities say 56-year-old Cochise Bayhan and 61-year-old Alex Montoya died inside the shed last Oct. 24.
The men were former New Mexico Behavioral Health Institute patients.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.