KRWG.ORG-The Region's Home Page
Mon April 22, 2013
Drug Take-Back Saturday In Las Cruces
The Drug Enforcement Agency’s National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day is Saturday, April 27, and will include nine locations around Las Cruces where unused pills and medications can safely be discarded.
The take-back event allows residents an opportunity to safely – and anonymously – dispose of outdated or unused prescription pills and medications. The service is free and no questions will be asked.
The take-back event will be held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, April 27, at nine collection sites in Las Cruces:
- Kmart store, 1900 Bataan Memorial East.
- Sam’s Club, 2711 N. Telshor Blvd.
- Elks Club, 3000 Elks Dr.
- Thomas Branigan Memorial Library, 200 E. Picacho Ave.
- Club Fitness, 3850 E. Lohman Ave.
- NMSU Police Department, 725 College Dr.
- Walmart Supercenter, 1550 S. Valley Dr.
- Walmart Supercenter, 571 Walton Blvd.
- DEA Office, 2290 E. Griggs Ave.
Nationally, the Prescription Drug Take-Back initiative is operated by the DEA while local law enforcement agencies operate the nine collection sites in Las Cruces.
The take-back initiative addresses vital public safety and health issues. Unused and outdated medications are susceptible to misuse or abuses, and can result in accidental poisonings and overdoses. Traditional methods of disposing unused medications – such as throwing them in the trash or flushing them down a toilet – can pose safety and health hazards.