Eating healthy is hard enough all year. But the summer can be even harder -- especially for parents who work and still need to feed their kids.
Brittany McGilvray joined KRWG for a special web segment on healthy summer eating.
McGilvray, who will graduate NMSU in 2013 with a degree in human nutrition, has this advice and a recipe for Banana Nut Bread to share when it comes to eating healthy this summer:
3 Top Ideas to be Healthy
1. Drink more water
- Cut out sugary beverages like juices, sweet tea and soft drinks.
- They can add hundreds of calories in a day without you even realizing you are consuming them.
- More than calories, the sugar contributes to the development of fat cells and dehydrates the body.
2. Meal/ Snack Prep
- Use a weekend day to prepare meals and snacks for the entire week.
- Having food prepared at home prevents the idea of “stopping to grab something quick” because maybe youre tired from work or it was a long day or you just want to relax.
- Go straight home, put on some pajamas and warm up a home cooked meal ready to eat in minutes.
- You know what is in the food, you can prepare more healthily meals and you save money.
- Snack prep prevents going to the vending machine or the gas station to pick up a candy bar and a coke.
- Slice up some fruit and vegetable.
- Bake some muffins.
3. Choose healthier food options
- You can still go out to eat.
- Choose a side salad instead of French Fries
- Choose steamed vegetables instead of mashed potatoes or chips
Banana Nut Bread
- 3 eggs
- 1 c sugar
- 3 large very ripe bananas
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup vanilla protein powder (optional)
- 1 cup nuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Mash bananas in bowl. Mix in eggs and sugar. Stir in dry ingredients a little at a time. Add in nuts. Pour into a greased bunt or loaf pan. (I use coconut oil to lightly grease my pan so the loaf comes out easily) and bake for 40-50 minutes.