KRWG.ORG-The Region's Home Page
Tue February 15, 2011
Fatal Fire In Las Cruces
By KRWG News
Las Cruces – Las Cruces police say a man who died over the weekend might have been heating water on his stove when his clothes caught fire.
Police say 80-year-old Ismael Lujan Sr. had severe burns on his body when he was found Saturday afternoon on his kitchen floor.
Police spokesman Dan Trujillo tells the Las Cruces Sun-News a neighbor alerted Lujan's family after hearing water running at Lujan's home Friday and Saturday.
Trujillo says Lujan appeared to have turned the water on in an attempt to douse the fire but was overcome before he could extinguish it.
Authorities say the water still was running and the stove was on when they arrived.
An autopsy is being conducted to determine the exact cause of death.
Information from: Las Cruces Sun-News, http://www.lcsun-news.com
Copyright 2011 The Associated Press.