Free Water Testing Offered Saturday In Grant County
The New Mexico Environment Department and the New Mexico Department of Health will offer free water testing for residents of Mimbres, Bayard, Silver City and surrounding communities of Grant County with private wells serving homes not connected to a public water utility. Water testing will be held on Saturday, October 5, 2013, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Mimbres Harvest Festival, San Lorenzo Elementary School Cafeteria, 2655 Hwy 35 North, San Lorenzo, NM, 88041.
How to Collect the Water Sample:
· Use a clean glass or plastic container (at least a liter).
· Do not use containers that have a strong odor, such as citrus or pickle jars.
· Collect the sample before any water treatment systems such as reverse osmosis, water softener, or carbon filter.
· Let the water run for a couple of minutes before collecting the sample.
· Collect the sample as close to the time of testing as possible.
If available, please provide well depth, depth to water, well casing material (i.e., steel, pvc) and distance from well to the nearest septic tank/leachfield system.
Drinking water will be tested on site for the following parameters: Arsenic, Electrical Conductivity, Fluoride, Iron, Manganese, Nitrate, pH and Sulfate.