German Students Enjoy Las Cruces Visit
LAS CRUCES – “The German students have thoroughly enjoyed their first week at Centennial High School and a great weekend with their host families,” said CHS German-American Partnership Program Coordinator Ingrid Luchini. Nine 11th graders and two teachers (Hedda Freese and Isabell Nienhues) arrived October 13, 2012 from Albert-Schweitzer-Schule (school) in Nienburg (Las Cruces’ German sister city) for a two-week visit to Las Cruces.
“On Monday afternoon (October 22), following their interesting morning classes, they had an informative tour at New Mexico State University,” said Luchini. “On Wednesday afternoon, they were introduced to New Mexican agriculture and ranching at the Farm and Ranch Museum.
On Tuesday they went on a full-day trip. A highlight was the trail ride at Corralitos Ranch. The students felt like cowboys in the old Southwest and would have loved an even longer ride on horseback. The subsequent soaking and relaxing in the Faywood Hot Springs was another experience they will cherish for a long time. Since the City of Rocks State Park is close by, the students and their teachers enjoyed a picnic dinner at the Orion Large Group picnic area and later explored the fascinating rock formations,” she said.
Here is what is on the agenda for the remainder of the GAPP visit to Las Cruces:
• Thursday, October 25: Morning classes at CHS; 12.30 p.m., visit area attractions; 7:00 p.m., attend CHS Hawks football game at the Field of Dreams (optional).
• Friday, October 26: Attend CHS classes, meet with Ingrid Luchini for interviews.
• Saturday, October 27: Visit area attractions.
• Sunday, October 28: Family time.
• Monday, October 29: 1:00 p.m., leave El Paso on flight to New York.