Regional
3:25 pm
Tue November 15, 2011

Judge Rejects Order Sought By Occupy Dallas

Texas – A federal judge has refused to grant an order sought by Occupy Dallas demonstrators to prevent the city from closing their campsite.

Protesters failed to get a temporary restraining order Tuesday. U.S. District Judge Jane Boyle earlier expressed concern that federal courts did not have jurisdiction.

The city last week alleged protesters had violated an agreement to allow the campsite near Dallas City Hall. The city noted reports of an alleged sexual assault of a child at the site, the removal of a baby over possible endangerment and trespassing arrests.

A Nov. 12 deadline to comply has been extended.

Occupy Dallas officials said protesters are abiding by the deal.

Jonathan Winocour, an attorney for Occupy Dallas, said he had no indication the city would move immediately to evict the protesters.


Copyright 2011 The Associated Press.