The Las Cruces Fire Department responded to the 100 block of South Miranda Street for a structure fire.
Las Cruces Firefighters were dispatched at 8:30 last night to an apartment fire in the historic Alameda district. The first arriving fire crew witnessed heavy flames and black smoke coming from a window and front door of a duplex apartment. The blaze was contained within 5 minutes after initial arrival.
The resident of the apartment reported seeing heavy sparking when she unplugged an electrical cord from an outlet resulting in the curtains catching fire. A resident from the adjoining apartment was able to assist in evacuating the elderly resident prior to fire personnel arrival.
The affected duplex apartment suffered moderate fire and heavy smoke damage. The connecting apartment was not affected by the fire and smoke damage. Fire official’s damage estimates are not complete at this time.
One resident was displaced by the fire and is currently being assisted by relatives. Las Cruces police officers were on scene for traffic and crowd control.
The fire investigator is still investigating the fire but concluded the origination of the fire occurred in the area where the electrical outlet arcing occurred. There were multiple electrical cords near the outlet.
There were no reports of firefighter or civilian injuries.