Las Cruces Topless Bar Could Open In August

Jul 15, 2013

A man planning the only topless bar in Las Cruces says he hopes to open the club in August.

Jesse Hernandez had met resistance from city officials earlier in the project, but said he's happy with how his plans are now progressing.

The city's Planning and Zoning Commission in September denied a special use permit to Hernandez for the purpose of opening a strip club.

Nearly two months later, however, the City Council overturned the Planning and Zoning Commission recommendation.

But a split vote on a liquor license pushed that decision to state regulators.

Hernandez says the state had approved his liquor license.

The last strip club to operate in Las Cruces was open briefly in the 1980s, and it drew public criticism.


Information from: Las Cruces Sun-News,

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.