Albuquerque – A neighbor's swift action has saved a family of eight from a burning house in Bernalillo County's South Valley.
Firefighters call the man a hero, but he says he only did what anybody would do in a similar situation.
The eight people in the family were asleep early Friday and unaware that their house was on fire.
Next door, Kim Del Margo smelled the smoke and woke up her boyfriend, Walter Wright. She says Wright ran over to the home barefooted and dressed on in a pair of sweatpants and got everybody out of the house.
Wright told KOB-TV that he kept ringing the doorbell until the residents woke up and got out of the home safely.
The cause of the fire is under investigation, but Wright says the owners suspect a faulty fireplace or chimney.
Information from: KOB-TV, http://www.kob.com
Copyright 2010 The Associated Press.