KRWG.ORG-The Region's Home Page
Tue May 4, 2010
More Than 20 Daytime Burglaries In Las Cruces
By KRWG News
Las Cruces – The Las Cruces Police Department has investigated an increased number of daytime burglaries over the past month where a perpetrator has kicked open the front door to gain entry to a home.
Since mid-April LCPD has investigated more than 20 such crimes, most of which were committed while residents were away from home. But, on at least three occasions, the invasion has occurred while a resident was home and has resulted in a hasty exit on the part of the perpetrator.
All of the home-invasion burglaries in question were committed during daytime hours and, in nearly all incidents, only relatively small items were taken during the burglary. Some of the items stolen included wallets, purses, keys and small electronics.
Las Cruces Police are reminding residents of some basic safety rules that may keep you from becoming a victim of such a crime:
1. Keep residential doors and windows locked at all times, even when you're at home.
2. Use a deadbolt lock in addition to the traditional spring-bolt lock on entry doors.
3. Keep valuable items - such as purses, keys, iPods, cell phones, televisions and other valuables - out of view from windows or screen doors.
4. Keep a cell phone or land-line phone handy, and nearby, when you're at home.
5. Utilize an audible home alarm system that is activated by motion or when an entry door is ajar.
6. Be a good neighbor and immediately report suspicious activity, or suspicious behavior, in your neighborhood.