Commentary: New Mexico - On Saturday, New Mexicans showed that they're watching the secretive health care process closely, and they stood up against Trumpcare at 20 simultaneous events throughout the state. The Democratic Party of New Mexico, Indivisible, Progressive Democrats of America, and Working Families Party teamed up to organize the events, which served as forums for New Mexicans to share their stories and support healthcare access for all New Mexicans.
The events are particularly important in light of recent news that Senate Republicans will push a bill that has never seen the light of day by the end of the month.
New Mexicans across the state are at risk of losing their healthcare through the Republicans' plan to repeal the Affordable Care Act, which will demolish Medicaid expansion, remove protections for those with preexisting conditions, kick students off their parents' plans, and take away essential funding for rural health clinics.
If Trumpcare becomes law:
- 23 million Americans, including more than 250,00 New Mexicans will lose their healthcare coverage.
- Medicaid will undergo unsustainable cuts, which puts 336,000 New Mexico kids at risk of losing health care.
- Premiums on older Americans will skyrocket.
- Individuals with pre-existing conditions will be subject to faulty and expensive high-risk pools.
- Insurance companies will be able institute lifetime limits on coverage, even on those with chronic illnesses.
- Planned Parenthood will be defunded, make it more difficult for millions of women to access critical health services.