New Mexico Road Closure Update

Sep 19, 2013

  Las Cruces: The New Mexico Department of Transportation (NMDOT) District One Office has posted several road closures due to flooding, erosion, and damaged roadways. Maintenance Crews have been working around intense conditions due to the rain fall from last week’s storms. It was reported that southern New Mexico received 5-8 inches of rain that affected this region with devastating flood water, and unsafe conditions.

Currently the following routes are still reported as closed, or with limited access with one lane restrictions. The NMDOT is in full force conducting repairs in order to grant full access to residents and businesses within various areas for southwestern New Mexico.


  • NM-159 in Mogollon closed due to roadway being washed out due to flooding and debris along the roadway. It is unclear as to when this route will be opened.
  • NM-174 in Glenwood has a portion of this roadway closed due to flooding and repairs needing to complete along the roadway.
  • NM-211 in the Bear Creek area from mile marker 3-4 due to flooding with repairs work underway in order to grant access to local residents and businesses.
  • NM-1 South of Magdalena is closed due to a portion of the roadway being washed out. Please seek an alternate route.
  • NM-52 north of Winston is closed with a detour in place for traffic to utilize until the roadway can be repaired.
  • NM-51 in Ash Canyon is open with traffic restricted to one lane from mile marker 3-7 from 7:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m. daily, and is completely CLOSED to all motorists during evening hours. The NMDOT has made arrangements with Meridian Construction to make the necessary repairs so that residents and businesses can regain full access to this route.

Motorists are reminded not to underestimate the force of water. The department has placed traffic control devices alerting motorists of closures and dangerous areas. Therefore, we are advising the public not to cross overflowing roadways, and please do not drive around barricades.

Roadway notifications will be posted on the department’s web which can be retrieved by calling 511 or 1-800-432-4269 out of state.