Permits Needed For Homemade Foods

New Mexico – The state Environment Department says a new rule on the sale of homemade foods will require those who make them to acquire permits.

The rule goes into effect Friday.

The $100 permit will allow the sale of certain homemade foods, including baked goods, tortillas, jams and jellies, dry mixes and candy.

Homemade processed foods can only be sold at farmers markets, roadside stands, fairs and fiestas.

Environmental Health Division director Carlos Romero says the rule was first proposed by farmers market organizers. He says it's aimed at people who regularly sell homemade goods.

Romero says one-time bake sales, like school fundraisers, won't be affected by the new rule.

Home-based food processors must attend food safety training and allow NMED to inspect their kitchens.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press.