KRWG.ORG-The Region's Home Page
Fri January 31, 2014
Road Advisory For High Winds
Las Cruces: The District One office for the New Mexico Department of Transportation (NMDOT) has expanded their high winds advisory to all secondary routes in conjunction to the alert for the I-10 corridor. Motorists are encouraged to reduce speed until conditions change, as low visibility will impact traffic as strong winds increase as predicated by local meteorologists.
Below are recommended driving tips.
· Slow down, be patient and drive safely. Plan for extra travel time.
· Drivers of high-profile vehicles should be aware of weather conditions and travel at a safe reduced speed limit.
· Maintain at least a three-quarter full tank of gas.
· Notify someone of your travel route, destination and projected arrival time.
· Carry an emergency preparedness kit in your vehicle.
· Brake slowly to avoid any panic braking or jerking the steering wheel.
· Increase the distance between you and the traffic ahead.
· When pulling off the road, make sure you exit on to the shoulder far enough to where your vehicle is not on the road.
· Carry plenty of food and water and all necessary medications.
· Avoid driving through dust storms.