Commentary: Albuquerque, NM - On Saturday, June 17, New Mexicans in a never seen effort, counties across New Mexico will hold simultaneous events from 10am to 11am to fight Trumpcare. The events will serve as an demonstration of support for the Affordable Care Act and opposition to the Republican health care bill currently making its way through Congress, also known as Trumpcare.
The Democratic Party of New Mexico, Indivisible, Progressive Democrats of America, and Working Families Party teamed up to hold rallies, story slams, "die ins" and informational events across the state at the same time. The events are particularly important in light of recent news that Senate Republicans will push a bill that has never seen the light of day by the end of the month.
A full list of events is available here and below:
Across from UNM Hospital on Lomas
(Parking at Jefferson Middle School)
224 Savage Ave, Raton
300 W. Upsilon, Clovis
Doña Ana County
Albert Johnson Park in Front of Branigan Library
N. Main Street, Las Cruces
814 N Canal, Carlsbad
204 E 4th St, Lordsburg
Booker T. Washington Park
1200 E. Humble Street, Hobbs
(At Hobbs Juneteenth)
Lincoln County Medical Center
211 Sudderth Dr, Ruidoso
Los Alamos County
East Parking Lot of Los Alamos Medical Center
3917 W Rd, Los Alamos
700 S Silver Ave, Deming
10th and Whitesands Blvd
Rio Arriba County
Paseo Oñate and Spruce St
(near the hospital turn-off)
700 South Abeline, Portales
(At Heritage Days)
Presbyterian Urgent Care
Southwest Corner of Highway 528 & High Resort, Rio Rancho
Santa Fe County
Santa Fe Plaza
63 Lincoln Ave, Santa Fe
San Juan County
Farmington Community Health Center,
1001 W Broadway, Farmington, NM 87401
Date & Main Street
Truth or Consequences
(Site of Women's & Tax Day Marches)
Socorro County (Event Starts at 11am)
Socorro General Hospital
1202 U.S. 60, Socorro, NM 87801
Valencia County (Event starts at 11am)
Anna Becker Park
N 4th Street, Belen
If Trumpcare becomes law:
- 23 million Americans, including more than 250,00 New Mexicans will lose their healthcare coverage.
- Medicaid will undergo unsustainable cuts, which includes coverage for 336,000 New Mexico kids
- Premiums on older Americans will skyrocket.
- Individuals with pre-existing conditions will be subject to faulty and expensive high-risk pools.
- Insurance companies will be able institute lifetime limits on coverage, even on those with chronic illnesses.
- Planned Parenthood will be defunded, make it more difficult for millions of women to access critical health services.