Seasonal Closures Begin In The Gila's Silver City Ranger District
As of Thursday, October 31st, 2013, the Silver City Ranger District, Gila National Forest, will be implementing seasonal closures from November 1st to March 31st for some campgrounds for the winter season. Some of these sites have been temporarily closed due to the flooding effects from the Silver Fire.
Temporarily closed for the winter:
• Iron Creek Campground, located in the Black Range Mountains off N.M. 152
• Lower Gallinas Campground, located in the Black Range Mountains off N.M. 152
• Cherry Creek Campground, located off N.M. 15
• McMillan Campground, located off N.M. 15
The following campgrounds will remain available for camping on the Silver City Ranger District:
• Upper Gallinas Campground, located in the Black Range Mountains off N.M. 152
• Railroad Canyon Campground, located in the Black Range Mts. off N.M. 152
Recreation users are reminded to practice Leave No Trace principles, to dispose of waste properly and leave the campsite clean for the next forest visitor. Weather conditions have been dry. Please practice campfire safety:
• Clear all flammable material away from the fire for a minimum of 5’ in all directions.
• Make a fire only if you have a shovel and sufficient water to put it out.
• Have a responsible person in attendance at all times.
• Never leave your campfire unattended!
• Avoid making a campfire during the windy part of the day.
• To make sure your campfire is out, drown with water and stir with dirt, making sure all burned materials are extinguished. Feel with your hand to make sure it’s out cold.
• Every campfire will be put DEAD OUT before leaving it.