Silver City Campgrounds Reopen
The Silver City Ranger District of the Gila National Forest is reopening four campgrounds on Friday, March 29, 2013 that were closed during the winter.
· Iron Creek Campground, located in the Black Range Mountains off N.M. State Highway 152
· Lower Gallinas Campground, located in the Black Range Mountains off N.M. State Highway 152
· Cherry Creek Campground, located off N.M. State Hwy 15
· McMillan Campground, located off N.M. State Hwy 15
Christa Osborn, District Recreation Staff on the Silver City Ranger District, recommends that during spring users take a few minutes to evaluate weather, road, and campground conditions carefully before selecting a campsite.
“Spring is a windy time of year and strong winds can move through the campground causing broken or loose tree branches. Remember to look up before choosing a site on the ground,” says Osborn.
Please practice the “Leave No Trace” principle when recreating on the Gila by disposing of waste properly. Pack out your trash, leftover food, and leave your campsite better for the next forest visitor to use.
Also, the weather has been extremely dry so please practice campfire safety:
· Clear all flammable material away from the fire for a minimum of five feet in all directions.
· Make a fire only if you have a shovel and sufficient water to put it out.
· Have a responsible person in attendance at all times.
· Never leave your campfire unattended.
· Avoid making a campfire during the windy part of the day.
· To make sure your campfire is out, drown with water and stir with dirt, making
sure all burned materials are extinguished. Feel with your hand to make sure it’s out cold.
· Every campfire will be put DEAD OUT before leaving it.
Please note that there will be no water available at both the Little Walnut and Gomez Peak picnic
sites due to the continued drought and low water levels at the well site.
For additional information regarding campgrounds or other recreational opportunities on the Gila National Forest, contact the respective ranger station or visit the website at http://fs.usda.gov/gila.