Silver Fire Forces Forest And Campground Closures
Silver City, NM; June 26, 2013-- Due to continued fire activity on the Silver Fire and concerns for public safety, the entire Aldo Leopold Wilderness and adjacent forest lands to the south, southeast, and to the eastern boundary of the Forest including Forest Road 150 from the Mimbres Valley at N.M. 35 north to Forest Road 4069G located at Main Diamond Creek are closed to all public entry until further notice.
Rocky Canyon, Upper and Lower Black Canyon Campgrounds including all forest trails east of Forest Road 150, and within the Aldo Leopold Wilderness are part of this closure.
Forest Road 150 is open south from Beaverhead off N.M. 59 to Forest Road 4069G, the Main Diamond Creek road.
“I am thankful for the public’s support during another year of wildfire on the Gila National Forest; the public’s fire prevention awareness and support is at an all-time high,” says Forest Supervisor Kelly Russell.
The boundary description of the closure includes:
• Starting at the intersection of Forest Road 150 and State Hwy 35 (T15S, R12W, sec. 23) and proceeding north along and including
Forest Road 150 to Forest Road 4069G (T11S, R12W, sec34),
• then east to the Aldo Leopold Wilderness Boundary (T11S, R12W, sec 35),
• then north and east along the Aldo Leopold Wilderness boundary to the junction with Forest Trail 813 (T12S, R09W sec 6),
• then east along Forest Trail 813 (Byers Run) and Forest Road 895 to the Forest boundary T12S, R08W sec 6),
• then south and east along the Forest boundary to the Sierra/Grant county line (T18S, R9W, sec 13).
• From the Sierra/Grant County line along the Forest Boundary west and north to the intersection with State Hwy 152 (T16S, R10W, sec13)
then north and west along the Forest boundary to its intersection with State Hwy 35, then north and west along the Forest boundary
on the east side of State Hwy 35 to the intersection of State Hwy 35 and Forest Road 150 (T15S, R12W, sec. 23).
A partial closure of the Aldo Leopold Wilderness had gone into effect on June 12th . With the active fire behavior, a complete closure of the wilderness, adjacent forest lands, and Forest Road 150 was required.