Suspect Arrested; Girlfriend Charged With Harboring A Felon

Las Cruces – Wednesday morning at approximately 10:00 a.m., Dona Ana Sheriff's Deputies, acting on an anonymous tip that a fugitive wanted for first degree kidnapping and parole violation may be hiding out at his girlfriend's residence, responded to the St Johns Mobile Home Park located at 3115 El Camino Real.

When Sheriff's deputies approached the residence, deputies heard children's voices coming from inside of the residence.

No fewer than eight sheriff's deputies surrounded the residence and made repeated verbal requests for the occupants to come out.

After approximately thirty minutes, sheriff's Deputies entered the residence by way of a key and confronted FELICIA MARIE ESPANA, (DOB: 08/26/1980) age 29, along with her four children, ranging in ages from one to twelve.

Two of ESPANA'S other children were in school at the time.

ESPANA, when confronted as to the whereabouts of JOSE FRANK MADRID, wanted for 1st degree kidnapping, parole violation and other related charges involving her and MADRID, demanded instead, a search warrant.

Sheriff's deputies located MADRID cowering behind a shower curtain in the bathtub.

MADRID was immediately placed under arrest for an outstanding warrant charging him with kidnapping in the first Degree, aggravated battery against a household member (Deadly Weapon), Bribery of a Witness, Battery Against a Household Member, and Interference with Communications (2 counts).

A warrant had been issued for the arrest of MADRID by the New Mexico Department of Corrections for Parole Violation as well.

Sheriff's Investigators charged ESPANA with one count of Harboring a Felon, a fourth degree felony and one count of Resisting, Evading or Obstructing an Officer, a misdemeanor, after admitting to Sheriff's Investigators that MADRID stayed the night at her residence and she fed him a sandwich.

ESPANA and MADRID were transported to the Dona Ana County Detention Center for incarceration.

ESPANA'S children were turned over to the custody of Child Protective Services.

No one was hurt during the arrest.