Las Cruces – Dona Ana County Fire and Emergency Services confirmed the death of one woman following a house fire early Sunday morning in Berino.
Firefighters from Chamberino, Anthony, La Mesa, La Union and the West Valley Fire Department in El Paso responded to the fire in the 200 block of Candelaria, with the first crews arriving on scene about eight minutes after receiving the 911 call at 1:20 a.m. Flames could be seen shooting from the roof, which had begun to collapse.
By 2:30 a.m. the fire was under control, but the doublewide mobile home was a complete loss.
A woman inside the home was unable to escape and perished in the fire, said Captain Kellen Tarkington of Dona Ana County Fire and Emergency Services. Her body will be transported to the Office of the Medical Examiner in Albuquerque for positive identification so her family can be notified.
Tarkington says investigators with the Dona Ana County Fire Marshal's office determined the fire was caused by a chimney pipe that was installed improperly.