KRWG.ORG-The Region's Home Page
Fri October 25, 2013
2nd Worker Dies In North Mexico Factory Blast
Authorities say a second worker has died due to an explosion in a candy factory in the border city of Ciudad Juarez.
Hospital spokesman Rosendo Gaytan says an 18-year-old man died Friday while being treated for third-degree burns.
Gaytan says six other workers remain in critical condition.
The blast Thursday on the second floor of the Dulces Blueberry factory caused the floor to collapse, injuring people working downstairs.
Authorities say the cause of the blast hadn't been determined. Workers say a steam boiler had been installed recently in the area, which smelled of acid hours before the explosion.
City official say firefighters and rescue crews didn't find any more victims inside the building. Workers' relatives, however, say one employee is unaccounted for.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.