Medical School Error Puts Patients At Risk

Albuquerque – A group of New Mexico medical school students failed to properly change needles on devices used for blood glucose testing, and now officials say dozens of people might be at risk for contracting serious diseases.

University of New Mexico School of Medicine officials made the announcement Thursday, hoping they can locate the individuals who participated in the free testing April 24 at the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center in Albuquerque.

Between 51 and 55 people were tested that day.

More than 1,600 people attended the cultural center's Pueblo Days festivities. The visitor list included people from across the nation and abroad including Canada, Italy, Sweden and Germany.

University spokesman Sam Giammo says the students improperly used the device to prick multiple patients. The device is designed to be used for a single prick on each patient.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press.