An attorney for a professional mixed martial artist who deputies say killed a man suspected of breaking into his New Mexico home says his client is no longer cooperating with authorities.
C.J. McElhinney said Monday that Joseph Torrez is at "beginning of a very long fight" and he fears the 27-year-old still may face charges even though he was protecting his family.
Dona Ana County sheriff's officials say 25-year-old Sal Garces died last week from stab wounds after he and three other men broke into Torrez's mobile home north of Las Cruces.
Deputies say Torrez, his fiancee and a toddler were home at the time.
McElhinney says Torrez fought off the intruders and one "suffered serious facial injuries."
Two men are facing charges.
According to Tapology.com, Torrez is a lightweight fighter with a 1-5 professional record.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.