Juarez, Mexico – The head of Mexico's federal police anti-drug unit confirms that authorities have captured the alleged leader of a gang blamed for hundreds of murders near the U.S. border.
Ramon Pequeno (peh-KEHN'-yoh) says Jose Antonio Acosta Hernandez has acknowledged ordering 1,500 killings. And Pequeno said Sunday that investigators believe he was the mastermind of an attack last year that killed a U.S. consulate employee and her husband last year in Ciudad Juarez.
U.S. prosecutors also want to try him in that case.
Mexican authorities say the 33-year-old Acosta is a key figure in the Juarez Cartel.
Copyright 2011 The Associated Press.